Mon, 30 Mar 2020

Iran Reports Fifth Death From Coronavirus

RFE
22 Feb 2020, 22:15 GMT+10

A fifth death from the coronavirus was reported in Iran on February 22 by health officials, who also said the fatality was from among 10 new confirmed cases of the virus in Iran.

Health ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour made the announcement on state TV, but did not specify when the death occurred.

Two people had died earlier on February 21 from COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus. Authorities reported two deaths previously this week.

Jahanpour said that of the 10 newly detected cases, two were in the capital, Tehran, and eight were in the city of Qom. That's where the first two elderly patients died on February 19. He said the two patients in the capital had visited Qom or had links with the city.

Minoo Mohraz, an Iranian Health Ministry official, had said on February 21 that the virus 'possibly came from Chinese workers who work in Qom and traveled to China.' She did not elaborate. A Chinese company has been building a solar power plant in Qom.

Copyright (c) 2018. RFE/RL, Inc. Republished with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave NW, Ste 400, Washington DC 20036

More Iran News

Access More

Sign up for The Iran News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!